- What does the Bod Pod Measure?
- What does Bod Pod testing consist of? How long is the test?
- How should I prepare for a Bod Pod test?
- Can I eat or exercise prior to a Bod Pod test?
- What does the Resting Metabolic Rate test tell me?
- How is the RMR test conducted?
- What is the best time of day to schedule a single Bod Pod test?
- What is the best time of day to schedule a Bod Pod/RMR test?
- Can I eat or exercise prior to a RMR test?
- Will I have to wait to get my Bod Pod or RMR results?
- How can I pay for these services?
- Can I make a group appointment at a reduced rate?
- Are these tests covered under my health insurance?
The Bod Pod measures your body composition, or more specifically, what percent of your body is made up of fat versus fat-free mass (i.e. muscle, bones, water, etc)
You will sit in an egg-shaped chamber for approximately 2 minutes while your body composition is measured. There is a window in the front of the chamber to see outside from the enclosed space. The total time for your appointment, including set-up, testing, and going over results, is approximately 15 minutes
You will be required to wear a spandex outfit – either spandex shorts for men, or spandex shorts/sports bra or swimsuit for women. You will be asked to remove any metal jewelry prior to the test. You will also be required to wear a cloth swim cap to cover your hair, which we will provide at the NMRL.
For best results, it is recommended to avoid strenuous exercise or consuming a large meal within 4 hours of your test.
The Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR) test measures the amount of energy (calories) your body needs at rest for an entire 24-hour period.
You will lie down and rest comfortably in a dark area while breathing into a mask for 30 minutes. We will calculate your RMR value from the data collected during this period.
We can accommodate Bod Pod testing during our regular laboratory hours, which are Monday 10:00am - 4:30pm and Tuesday - Friday, 8:00am - 4:30pm. If you have a special circumstance, please advise during scheduling. *The NMRL is closed for testing until June 6, 2016
This test yields the best results when scheduled close to waking time. We can accommodate Bod Pod/RMR testing as early as 7:00am. Total time for both the Bod Pod and RMR test is approximately one hour. *The NMRL is closed for testing until June 6, 2016
Please refrain from eating anything or exercising for 12 hours prior to your test. You may drink water, but please avoid any caffeinated beverages prior to your test.
Results from the Bod Pod are generated right away. The RMR test involves some data processing, so you may wait during processing we can email your results if you’d prefer.
You may pay with either cash (exact change only – no cash box available) or check made payable to the University of Pittsburgh. A single Bod Pod test is $50, and the Bod Pod + RMR test is $75.
Yes – please ask about group rates when scheduling.
No, these tests are fee for service and are not eligible to be processed through medical insurance.